Saturday 20 November 2010

A Twitch

Just over the hill is Hollingworth lake and there was a rare American bid visitor and i went to find it.

And here it is -- yes thats right a Pied Billed Grebe -  Impressed  - probably not  but this lot  and many many others were

As the birders walked from the car park around the reservoir to where the bird was - I could see in their walk and anxious faces (and in me too) the silent prayer "let it still be there"  and of course it was (it still is)  and when we saw it there was a relaxation, a breathing out, we were excited, thrilled to be there and to see this liitle bird which had, somehow, crossed the Atlantic and ended up if the South Pennines.  Afterwards people strolled back and I saw in faces of the later arrivals that same suppressed excitement - the same hope that I had when I walked that way half an hour before.  A good one!!

A couple more pics I took of some of the water works around the reservoir.
   The Overflow

 
and the inflow!

No comments: